Some Service Projects
While some of the projects we support have a lengthy affiliation with our club, we recognize the changing needs of the Belleville community. We are always open to new projects and ideas to help the Belleville community and encourage people to make us aware of these unfilled needs.
The following is a list of some of the project with which Belleville Kiwanis Club is currently involved:
Shoes for Kids
– We have an established program in cooperation with the school nurses and social workers in five local school districts to ensure that the grade school children have good shoes for school at no cost to the family.
SWIC Student Art Competition
– We sponsor awards for the annual art competition for both college and high school art students.
Art on the Square
– We sponsor awards for the high school competition portion of the Belleville Art on the Square event each year.
– One $500 scholarship awarded to a graduating senior who is an active member of the Belleville West Key Club.
– One $500 scholarship awarded to a graduating senior who is an active member of the Governor French Academy Key Club.
– One $1,000 scholarship awarded to a student at Southwestern Illinois College.
The scholarships are awarded for recognition of leadership and service to their community.
Other Programs for Schools.
We also have some great programs that would benefit children such as those needing academic encouragement (BUG) or a student-recognition program that promotes character development, self-esteem and perseverance for those in grade school and middle school (Terrific Kids.) The Belleville Kiwanis Club is actively seeking teachers or advisors to introduce these very successful programs in schools in the Belleville area. For more information on the “Bring Up Grades (BUG)” and “Terrific Kids” programs, please contact us.